What's so great about our coffee mornings?
Coffee mornings are an opportunity for parent and carers who live in Brighton and Hove to get together in a safe and supportive environment, find out more about services available in the city and meet professionals who plan and/or deliver services in the city.
The idea for the coffee mornings came to life around July 2012 when they were originally called the Partnership Outreach Pilot for Parents/Carers or POPP. Coffee mornings were organised in two neighbourhoods, Hangelton & Knoll and Moulsecoomb & Bevendean in partnership with the local Trust for Developing Communities or TDC. POPP aimed to:
- Increase the use of Amaze services by families who were more isolated
- For parents and carers to be more confident and resilient to cope, less isolated, more informed and empowered
- To increase Compass registrations and as a result parents and carers to benefit from financial savings, increase their wellbeing and feel part of a community
- To support establishment of new parent and carer support groups
- To enable parents and carers to feed into relevant consultations affecting their families
The success of the pilot made possible the consolidation of the coffee mornings into Community Outreach Project or COP and also the expansion to another neighbourhood, Whitehawk.
Each coffee morning focuses on different topics which are decided by the participants. During the past years we looked at wellbeing and how parent carers can look after themselves, the reshaping of wellbeing services, the merging of the special schools in Brighton & Hove and Education, Health and Care Plans.
Where and when
We hold our coffee mornings at several locations.
- Moulsecoomb and Bevendean: the Sunflower Support Group takes place every 2nd Tuesday of the month at Moulsecoomb Primary School. The coffee mornings were delivered in partnership with TDC
- Hangleton & Knoll: the Hangleton & Knoll Parent Carer Group takes place every 3rd Tuesday of the month at St Richards Church and Community Centre. The coffee mornings were delivered in partnership with The Hangleton & Knoll Project / TDC
- Whitehawk: the Whitehawk Parent Carer Coffee Morning takes place every last Thursday of the month at the Whitehawk Inn
If you want to find out more about coffee mornings please email Paolo at email@example.com or call 07484 051753.
For regular updates you can also join the PaCC Facebook page where dates for the coffee mornings are posted regularly.